Monday, September 12, 2011

is it fall yet???

It's not a popular sentiment, this frustration I am having with the lingering summer temperatures.

People in Portland complain a lot about the weather.  At least I feel that way sometimes.  It's always "too" something: too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, too muggy, too windy...  Me?  The only time I'm not *too* happy is when it approaches the upper 80s, and it's been at least that hot for the past couple of weeks.  I am ready for the rain, the drab 45 degree gray days that it seems like everyone else is dreading.

In the summer I am in denial.  I can be miserably hot and feel awful because of it but I behave as if it's November.  I still knit, I still drink hot tea and coffee, I still fire up the oven and bake.  I still clutch a blanket at night (which my husband *really* doesn't understand - he has a fan pointed directly at the bed from two different directions!).  I guess I just like to do cold weather things, like snuggle and sit around with a lap full of yarn.

And I hate trying to dress for the heat.  I always argue that when it's cold you always can put more clothes on, wrap yourself in a blanket, and turn up the thermostat.  But when there's no air conditioning,  there's only so much you can take off, only so many items of clothing without which it is acceptable to function in public.  This is particularly tricky when, like me, you're serving food to someone for a living.  I know I don't want to have someone's armpit mere inches from my face when they're delivering my food, even if they are working on the patio and it's 95 degrees.


So despite the cries of "Hush yer face right now!" and "You're crazy, this weather is great!" I am openly willing the weather to turn.  Of course it isn't working as quickly as I'd like it to but I'm willing to be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment